Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Lenten Moments of Mercy: Tuesday of the Second Week of Lent

Tuesday of the Second Week of Lent

Feast of St. Polycarp, Bishop and Martyr

 

Lent is a season during which we reflect on how we bear witness to Jesus.
 

Scripture

“Seek justice,
            rescue the oppressed,
defend the orphan,
            plead for the widow.”
Isaiah 1:17
 

Reflection

We celebrate the feast day of St. Polycarp (d.155?), bishop and martyr. Polycarp was the second Bishop of Smyrna, and said to be ordained by St. John the Apostle. He was one of the last living witnesses to the teachings of the Apostles.

When brought before the stake that would be his pillar of martyrdom by fire, St. Polycarp was given the opportunity to renounce his faith and be spared. Polycarp replied:
 
“Eighty and six years I have served Him, and He has done me no wrong. How then can I blaspheme my King and Savior? . . . You threaten me with fire that burns for an hour, and after a little is extinguished, but you are ignorant of the fire of the coming judgment and of eternal punishment, reserved for the ungodly . . . I give You thanks that You have counted me, worthy of this day and this hour, that I should have a part in the number of Your martyrs, in the cup of your Christ.”

Polycarp’s martyrdom reminds us of what Jesus taught in John 15:20. “Remember the word that I said to you, ‘Servants are not greater than their master.’ If they persecuted me, they will persecute you; if they kept my word, they will keep yours also.”

We can be inspired by the example of St. Polycarp. The days of martyrdom are not over. We also remember that thousands of Christians continue to be martyred today serving the same Lord, sharing in the cup of Christ.

Pope Francis

“Let us consider: am I ready to carry the Cross like Jesus? To endure persecution in order to bear witness to Jesus like our many brothers and sisters today who are humiliated and persecuted?”
Morning Meditation, 4 March 2014
 

Lenten Action

► Review the work of Caritas International bringing hope to the suffering and refugees from religious persecution.

Prayer

Let your face shine on us your servants so we may serve those most in need.
http://www.loyolapress.com/

No comments: