Thursday, June 09, 2005

Maintaining A Good Attitude

Seven times a day I will praise You. Psalm 119:164

Each morning you have to tell yourself,
"Today I'll make whatever adjustment is necessary to keep my attitude right." Here are some guidelines:

(1) Realise that your attitude needs daily adjustment.
Anything you don't maintain deteriorates. The stronger your natural inclination to be negative or doubtful, the more you'll have to work at it. So begin each day with an attitude check. And watch for red flags throughout the day, signalling that you're not doing well.

(2) Ask God to help you.
Someone sent us this humorous prayer:
"Dear Lord, so far today I haven't gossiped, lost my temper, been greedy, grumpy, nasty, selfish or self-indulgent. But in a few minutes I'm going to have to get out of bed, then I'll need all the help I can get."
The truth is, you'll need God's help to maintain a good attitude, so seek it!

(3) Always look for what's good.
Mother Teresa had only two requirements for those working with her in Calcutta:
a desire to work and a joyful attitude.
Think: if somebody could be joyful amongst the dying and the poorest of the poor, surely you can too!

(4) Seek out faith-filled people.
They're everywhere. You'll find them soaring above the doubters like eagles. If you're having a hard day, get close and "draft" behind them the way racers do. And if they're having difficulty, you be the one to get out front and make things easier.

To maintain a good attitude the Psalmist said, "Seven times a day I praise You"

- try it!

No comments: