Saturday, June 07, 2008

The Gift Of Repentance

I gave her time to repent.
Revelation 2:21


When God tells you to repent, He gives you time and grace to do it. If you don't, there are consequences. "I gave her time to repent, but she [would] not… Therefore… [she] will suffer greatly" (Revelation 2:21-22 ). This Scripture is an arrow to the heart of that stubborn sin you want to keep holding on to. Sin is always a choice. If you choose to keep sinning you can reach a place where your ability to say "no" is so weakened, you become enslaved to what you've chosen. As long as you prefer the rewards your sin brings, you won't seek deliverance from it.


The Greek word for repentance is metanoia. It means "to change, to turn around and go the other way". One counsellor writes, "I kept trying not to commit a particular sin, praying about it over and over, only to do it again. Finally I got mad at God and cried out, 'Why don't You help me with this?' He answered, 'Because you aren't disgusted with it yet. You're still enjoying it.' I protested, 'I do not. I hate it.' God replied, 'If you hated it enough you'd quit it.' In that moment I realised that I enjoyed the rewards of my sin more than the rewards of obedience. I also discovered something else; I couldn't hate sin enough by the power of my own fleshly will to come to true repentance. I stood helpless in corruption. Repentance is a gift of love which comes from God. And until that love is allowed to work in us, touching and exposing those carefully guarded areas, we cannot change."


So today ask God for the gift of repentance.

http://www.thevine.co.nz

No comments: