Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Christ's Golden Rule (3)

Each of us can "slot" ourselves using one of the following statements:
(1) I am always ethical;
(2) I am mostly ethical;
(3) I am somewhatethical;
(4) I am seldom ethical;
(5) I am never ethical.

Which slot areyou in? The majority of us put ourselves in the second slot because of -personal convenience! Risking confrontation is inconvenient. Practicingdiscipline is inconvenient. Putting others first is inconvenient. Paying the price for success is inconvenient. Most of us think that being mostly ethical is fine - unless we are on the losing end of someone else's ethical lapse. If you're looking for a good honest standard of ethical behaviour to live by, you'll find it in Christ's golden rule. Here'swhy:

(a) His golden rule is easy to understand. You simply put yourself in the place of the other person. That's it! Even a small child can handle that. There are no complicated rules and no loop holes, right?

(b) His golden rule is a win-win philosophy. Have you ever met people who believe that in order for them to win, others must lose? No, if I treat you as well as I desire to be treated, you win. If you treat me likewise, I win. Where's the loser in that?

c) His golden rule produces peace and self-worth. At the end of the day, you have to be able to live with yourself! If the only way you can win is by cheating, you lose self-respect, live with the fear of being exposed, forfeit your confidence before God, and all your successes are hollow!

No comments: