Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Christ's Golden Rule (2)

Good marriages, good business relationships and good friendships are based on Christ's golden rule.
Bottom line - show people that you value them!
John Maxwell tells of a new pastor who shared the following rules with his congregation: "
(1) If you have a problem with me, come and seeme privately. I'll do the same for you.

(2) If someone else has aproblem with me and comes to you, send them to me. I'll do the same.

(3)If someone will not come to me, say, "Let's go see him together." I'll do the same.

(4) Be careful how you interpret me - I'd rather do that.
It's too easy to misinterpret intentions. I'll also be careful how I interpret you.

(5) If it's confidential, don't tell. If you or anyone else comes to me in confidence, I won't tell unless the person is going to harm themselves;
or harm someone else; or a child has been physically or sexually abused.
I expect the same from you.

(6) I don't read unsigned letters.

(7) I don't manipulate; I won't be manipulated; don't let others manipulate you. Don't let others try to manipulate me through you.

(8)When in doubt, just say so. If I can answer it without misrepresenting something or breaking a confidence, I will."

And one final thought: if people can still construe that you're taking advantage of them, even after you've had a chance to explain your motives, you need to re-think your idea.

No comments: