Monday, December 11, 2006

A Word To Teachers (2)

Everyone who is fully trained will be like his teacher.
Luke 6:40

Stop growing and you stop teaching! The truth doesn't change, but your understanding of it should.
Peter writes: "Grow in … grace and knowledge" (2 Peter 3:18 ). This requires the attitude that you haven't yet "arrived." Those who apply this principle are always asking, "How can I improve?"
Dr. Howard Hendricks writes: "When I was a college student… I worked in the dining hall. On my way to work at 5:30 each morning I walked past the home of one of my professors. Through a window I could see a light on at his desk. He was poring over his books. One day he invited me home for lunch and I said: 'Would you mind if I asked you a question? What keeps you studying? You never seem to stop.' He answered 'Son, I would rather have my students drink from a running stream than a stagnant pool.' He was one of the best professors I ever had - a man who marked me permanently." Do you teach others? From what are you drinking?

Jesus said, "Everyone who is fully trained will be like his teacher."
Those words should either excite you - or drive you to your knees! If you want to touch others you must first ask God to touch you. He desires to work through you, but He can't until He works in you. He'll use you as His instrument, but first He wants to sharpen and cleanse that instrument so it becomes a more effective tool in His hands.
So, if you want to strengthen your teaching, do everything in your power to strengthen the teacher - yourself!

No comments: